Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
Why wait until Fall to have all things Pumpkin? Enjoy this simple meal year round!
Serving Size: 4 Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
💚VEGAN 💚GLUTEN FREE 💚OIL-FREE
- 1 lb Legume Pasta (I use lentil)
- 3 TB vegetable broth
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/3 c Toasted chopped walnuts (set aside)
- Cook pasta as directed. Do not over cook, as legume pastas can get sticky/gummier easier than whole wheat overcooked.
- In large saucepan, heat veggie broth on low/medium.
- Saute garlic for a few minutes - be careful not to burn.
- Pour in pumpkin puree, coconut milk, paprika and salt
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes until sauce reaches desired thickness.
- Combine drained, cooked pasta to sauce, stirring so all pasta is coated.
- Add chopped walnuts and herbs of choice and serve immediately.
- If you do not have coconut milk on hand, it's possible you could use a thicker, non dairy milk such as oat. I haven't experimented with this so I strongly recommend you don't substitute.
- Whole wheat pasta can be substituted, but I love that lentil or even chickpea pasta are great ways to get added fiber and protein. They have a mild, undetectable flavor so don't worry that these types of pastas will ruin the dish.
- Omit nuts if allergic - but you knew this :)
NOTE: If you still incorporate meat and/or dairy in your plant-based lifestyle, a option to add more protein is cooking sliced sausage (I prefer to air fry to drain out excess oil) and add to simmering sauce before you add the pasta.