Easy Cashew Cheese Sauce
Who knew cashews would be the perfect ingredient for delicious cheese? Use this for a handy veggie dip, topping nachos and veggie dogs, making mac and cheese - and more!
Serving Size: 1 Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes💚VEGAN 💚GLUTEN FREE 💚OIL FREE 💚MILK FREE
- 1 c cashews
- 1.5 c water (+ 1/2 c as needed)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 - 1/3 c nutritional yeast, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp onion powder, to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, to taste
- 1 serrano, minced
- 1/2 c diced tomatoes (fresh or canned ok; drained)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp tapioca starch or extra cashews, as needed
- Blend first 7 ingredients in high-powered blender
- If you find the mixture is too thick, add more water TB at a time until desired thickness
- Once sauce is well-blended/creamy, add in serrano, tomatoes and bell pepper and pulse only a few times - just enough to mix within cheese but not fully blend
- Serve with your favorite veggies, chips or mix into cooked pasta.
- If the sauce is too thin for your desired liking, slowly add in tapioca starch 1/4 tsp at a time or add extra cashews and blend PRIOR to pulsing in the veggies. Keep in mind once refrigerated the mixture will thicken slightly.
- If you don't like any of the veggies and/or are adding to a dish such as mac and cheese, the recipe will still work if veggies are omitted.
- I use a Vitamix blender for cheese sauces. If you do not have a high-powered blender that works with blending nuts raw, soak the cashews the night prior.
- We like a little chunkiness/texture to our cheese sauces so if you do not, throw all veggies in at the same time as the other ingredients and blend on high.
- Keep refrigerated and consume within 5 days. Freezes up to 1-2 months. You can warm this sauce and just add water, as needed when reheating.