Hearts of Palm Crab Cakes
Calling all seafood lovers! This delicious hearts of palm recipe will satisfy your craving for crab cakes. It’s super simple to make, and is sure to be a hit with me and hubby on the (occasional) date night.
Serving Size: 6-8 cakes Prep Time: 8-10 minutes Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
💚VEGAN 💚GLUTEN FREE 💚OIL FREE
- 14 oz can hearts of palm (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 c mixture of: avocado, juice of 2-3 lemons and sriracha, to taste (blended together - this will be your "mayo". See tips below regarding this)
- 2 TB seaweed sheets, finely crushed OR kelp flakes, to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1-2 TB cajun seasoning (we like Slap yo mama)
- 1 c Panko (gluten free) in shallow dish, 2 TB set aside
- Preheat air fryer or oven to 375 and line baking sheet with oven safe parchment paper
- Using a fork, scrape heart of palms lengthwise, producing shredded pieces. Chop in half or in thirds and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix in "mayo", old bay, shredded carrots, seaweed flakes, 2 TB panko, and salt until well blended.
- Add in hearts of palm and gently turn mixture until combined and coated with seasoned "mayo."
- Using the shallow dish of panko, form small cakes and gently press cakes on both sides, coating each with panko.
- Place all cakes spaced apart on parchment paper.
- Air Fry or bake for 18-20 minutes, turning over after about 9-10 minutes. The outside of the cakes should be light brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cajun seasoning, to taste.
- Serve with our Sriracha Avocado Dressing immediately before serving. Pair with a Kale salad or use bread rounds for a yummy sandwich.
- Vegan mayo can be substituted for Avo Mayo. If you still incorporate dairy in your lifestyle, you could also sub regular mayo.
- If you prefer, you can also pan fry these in oil of your choice.
-If you prefer not having a stronger seafood flavor, omit the kelp or seaweed. It will taste more like a hush puppy, which is what my kids liked.
- You can also use a vegan fish taco seasoning if you do not have Old Bay.